Strathspey Thistle made history with their first win at Christie Park running out two-nil winners over Huntly.

Huntly were without midfielder Ian Cruickshank while Aaron Scoular, Blair Johnston, David Booth and Neale Davidson all remained sidelined. Strathspey Manager Brian Grant rang the changes from their defeat to Turriff United with Adam McLeod, Joshua Peters and Martin Groat all coming into the starting eleven.


The visitors threatened early on with James Mackay and Adam McLeod both unable to get their efforts on target. McLeod was a constant threat to the home defence and saw a further chance kept out when Fraser Hobday blocked with his legs.

It took Huntly almost half an hour to register a shot on target when a James Duguid first time effort was held by Michael MacCallum. Minutes later a lapse in the Strathspey backline presented Duguid with another opportunity but he was kept out again by MacCallum as the former Nairn goalkeeper pulled off a good stop.

Alexander Thoirs went on a run moments later before slipping the ball to John Urquhart. Urquhart in turn teed up Dean Donaldson who curled a low shot narrowly past the post. At the other end, Hobday again kept his side in the game with another low save to keep out McLeod.

Two minutes from the interval, Defender Gary Davidson was penalised for a handball outside the Huntly penalty area. From the resultant free kick, Adam McLeod struck a great dead ball into the top corner to give his side the lead.

Half-Time: Huntly 0 Strathspey Thistle 2

Four minutes into the half and the woodwork denied Strathspey a second when his shot spun back off the post.

Huntly did have some chances early in the second half, Michael Clark headed over from a corner while Strathspey shot-stopper Michael MacCallum would again thwart the home side. Duguid lifted a ball over into the path of Donaldson only for a point-blank save from MacCallum to turn the ball behind.

The Jags sealed the win with twelve minutes remaining with Adam McLeod turning provider for substitute John Treasurer to finish with a low shot at the back post.

Huntly came close to grabbing a consolation right at the death after two of the substitutes combined. Craig Dorrat released debutant Felipe Da Silva down the left and his cross was met by Adam McNamee who headed over at the near post.

The win puts Strathspey Thistle into 8th place while Huntly, who are one of four teams without a point to their name sit in 15th with a better goal difference than the teams below them.

Got an opinion on this game? click here to discuss in the forum (registration required)


1 Fraser Hobday

3 Neale Allan
6 Gary Davidson
5 Michael Clark
2 Craig Dorrat

8 Gary McNamee (captain)
4 Murray McCulloch
10 John Urquhart

7 Alexander Thoirs
9 James Duguid
11 Dean Donaldson


1 Michael MacCallum

8 Martin Groat
4 Jack Maley
2 Jordan Wardrope
17 Thomas Borthwick

3 Owen Cairns
5 James McShane (captain)
19 Scott Hume
21 James Mackay

9 Adam McLeod
10 Joshua Peters


12 Mark Lawson
13 Andrew Pennycook
14 Adam McNamee (G McNamee 83)
15 Sean Croll
16 Felipe Da Silva (Urquhart 83)
17 Trialist


6 Mark MacKernie
11 Connor Aubrey
20 John Treasurer (Mackay 72)
22 Trialist
26 Trialist
28 Alister Matheson

Manager: Gregg Carrol
Assistant Managers: Steven Dolan & Mark Gray
Goalkeeping Coach: Nigel Burgess
Physios: Alister Murray & David Young
Manager: Brian Grant
Assistant Manager: Rab Simspon
Physio: Scott Robson
Referee: George Robertson Assistant Referees: Davy Robertson & Bob Inkster